Friday, May 23, 2014

Letter To My God-Daughter



Cecilia, I look at you,
At the precious smile you hand to me,
And as I kiss your rosy cheek,
I wonder who you'll grow up to be.
I'm happy that you're smiling now,
Wrapped safely in my arms,
For who knows what pain is in your future,
What sadness and what harm?
My dearest, sweet Cecilia,
Everyone has days of pain,
And it gives me one just thinking of
Your tears falling like rain.
I'm so grateful you know Jesus,
Your Savior and yourKing,
And when your days of sadness come,
I pray you'll open your hymnal and sing,
Or that you'll call your God-Mother
To come and sit with you,
And fold your hands within her own,
To talk to God as Christians do.
There's so much that I could tell you,
If I knew just what to say,
But the lines between now and tomorrow
Get in my mouth's way.
So for right now, my Cecilia,
Just let me hold you near,
And try not to worry about days to be,
But the day that is already here.
Cecilia, each night I pray
God grant you faith and peace,
Health and friends and happiness,
And everything you need.
So when you are all grown up,
And maybe far away,
I hope that you will think of me,
And it will brighten up your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment