Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Eye



I faced the creature in the mirror;
It was green and it was clear.
"Did you tell what I meant to be hid?"
The eye answered, "I did, I did."

A river flowed onto the creamy land,
And I dried it up with one hand.
"And I shall do so once again."
I asked the eye, "But when, but when?"

"Whenever someone looks at me,
And clearly solves the mystery,
You forfeit your most private fears,
To anyone who holds you dear."

"Do not lie to me!"
I told the eye,
But forth bursts the sea,
As I start to cry.

The eye stared back without sympathy,
As if it were not part of me.
"Did you hear what I said?"
The eye replied, "I did, I did."

"What's wrong with turning to your friends,
When you're at your wits ends?"
I stared stubbornly at the eye,
But did not reply, Did not reply.

"You are but a lonely fool;
You must learn to follow nature's rules."
"And what is that?" I asked the eye.
"To hope for love before you die."

"I hope for love!" I did insist,
And the eye did not resist;
But perhaps it already knew,
That's h ow all my practiced speeches go.

"That is, I know that I love."
But the eye said, "That is not enough;
You must wish for love in return,
And trust is something you must learn."

"What does trust have to do with love?"
The eye replied, "Enough, enough."
"Well, then, have you no advice?"
"Yes; learn to listen to your eyes."

"To my eyes." I huffed back,
"And just what shall I learn from that?"
"To love yourself, so that you,
Can trust someone else to be true."




1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is a really great one! I like it!

    ReplyDelete