Saturday, March 10, 2012

What Forever's Like

They've been together thiry years,
He's never slept on the couch,
She's never told him goodbye,
And if you ask, they'll tell you why:

Thirty years ago she went down the aisle,
She had flowers in her hair,
He had a dimple in his chin,
they had tears in their eyes,
But there were smiles on their hearts.

He took her hand in his,
He put a ring that finger,
The look in his eyes said, I'll keep you warm,
I'll keep you safe and sound,
I'll let you take the blankets,
And kiss your bed head,
And no matter what you do think, or say,
I'll love you forever and a day.

The people sang,
The little babies clapped hteir hands,
He held her tight and the flowers fell on her  dress,
But, ah, who cared on a day like that,
That was made for mistakes?

She took his hand in hers,
She put a ring on that finger,
The look in her eyes said, I'll keep you warm,
I'll keep you safe and sound,
I'll let you watch your football,
And I'll let you play your golf,
And no matter what you think, do, or say,
I'll love you forever and a day.

They've been together for thirty years,
He never slept on the couch,
She's never told him goodbye,
And now you know why; that's how it ought to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment