Saturday, June 20, 2015

Drowning Dry

I'm in a sea of people,
Surrounded on all sides.
I can't see above them;
I'm drowning,
Drowning dry.
I try to catch my breath,
But I feel like I'm gonna die.
I don't know who to turn to;
I'm drowning,
Drowning dry.
I can't make myself an island;
I can't just slip on by.
Someone will stop to greet me;
I'm drowning,
Drowning dry.
I close my eyes a moment;
I lean against the wall.
I pretend that I'm not here,
And I might not drown at all...?

Someone's in the corner
And in the corner of my eye.
Alone, I'm not alone;
We both think we're drowning dry.
Maybe I'll walk over;
Maybe I'll say hi.
Maybe I'll stop somebody
Else from drowning dry.
Wait, but I don't know them;
Is it really worth a try?
Maybe I'll just stay here,
And let myself drown dry...

Someone taps my shoulder;
I hear somebody sigh.
I feel someone pull me to shore,
And I'm not drowning dry.
I fight it on the inside;
They ask me if I'm shy.
"No... I just... I feel like...
I'm drowning,
Drowning dry."
They cock their head a little;
They sort of blink their eyes.
"I never heard it put like that;
Drowning,
Drowning dry...?
"Well, you aren't the only one;
Everyone drowns sometimes.
You'll just have to save yourself;
Instead of drowning, learn to fly."

Fly... I'm not a flyer...
I smile, and say goodbye...
How should they know?
They aren't the one who's drowning,
Drowning dry.
I can't talk to people;
And no, I can't say why.
I just need to leave now,
Lest I should drown dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment